If you are thinking about moving to London, or living in London, we are here to help!  Whether it has always been a life-long dream of yours, or you have simply recently discovered of the land, you have decided to take the plunge and are now faced with the task of planning your move to London from the US.  How exciting!

Before you buy your ticket to London and start packing your bags, we would love to share a few moving to London TIPS and links that we feel may help you in your transition abroad.  After all, moving to London from overseas is a totally different experience than moving from within the UK.  You will have an entire new country to experience, complete with new sets of laws, new customs and a new culture.

First thing is first: Don’t confuse Great Britain with England!

This is very important, especially if you want to start your journey off on the right foot.  After all, you don’t want to go around offending people, do you?!  Quick summary:

  • Great Britain is the name of the island on which England, Scotland and Wales are situated. It is not a country, rather it is a unitary state.
  • The UK, as you may already know, is short for “The United Kingdom.”  This term refers to the union of what were once four separate countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
  • England is just one of 4 constituent countries all governed by Her Majesty’s Government in Westminster, London.  England is the largest and most populous portion of the United Kingdom.


Next, what is a Visa, and why do you need one?

Before your upcoming move to London, it is important to understand and educate yourself on the various types of Visas.  Without the proper documentation, you may have difficulty finding work, renting “flats” or entering the country all together.  The different types of visas are as follows:

  • Ancestry Visas – UK Ancestry Visas are available for individuals who have a grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  • Youth Mobility Scheme Visas – The UK working holiday visa, also known as the ‘UK Youth Mobility Visa,’ allows young people aged between 18 and 30 years old to live in the UK for up to 2 years and to take up permanent or casual employment to help fund their stay.
  • Skilled Workers Visas – available to skilled workers who have been offered jobs in the UK.
  • Highly Skilled Workers Visas = this highly skilled visa type replaces the old Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP).  Unlike the Skilled Worker Visa listed above, which requires a sponsorship from an employer, the Highly Skilled Workers Visa allows highly skilled workers to come to the UK in search of work, so long as they have enough points to be granted this visa.
  • Student Visas – individuals 16+ years of age that are planning to study in the UK on a course with a minimum of 12 months

For more information about Visas and their specific requirements, please visit the London embassy.

Here are some additional links that we believe may help you better prepare for your upcoming move to London:

·         How to Move to England

·         London Guides, Maps, and Things to Do

·         London Hostels

·         London Bars, Nightlife, and Entertainment

·         Flat Rentals in London


Wishing you the best of luck during your upcoming adventure abroad!



Tell us about your move!

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.